Effect of the different ratio of succinic acid to cigarettes on the volatile substances formed in the process of pyrolysis was studied to investigate the influence mechamism of succinic acid on the decreasing flavor of cigarettes by the technologies of online Pyrolysis-Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry. It was shown that free nicotine would decrease substancially while mono-protonated and diprotonated nicotine would increase obviously with increasing succinic acid. With the addition of 1%, 2% and 3% of succinic acid to cigarettes, the total volatile substances formed in the process of pyrolysis of cigarettes was reduced by about 23 percent, while low molecular weight carbonyls and furans down by 26%~30% and alkenes down by 23%~26%. The quantity of carbohydrates pyrolysates and volatile Maillard reaction’s products fell by 30 percent, particularly DDMP and 5-hydroxymethyl furfural decreased sharply, down by 84.1% and 75.6% respectively when the usage of succinic acid reached 3%. The total phenols were reduced by 29.5%, 37.0% and 37.3% respectively while key aroma chemicals fell by 31.4%, 36.8% and 36.8% respectively, when 1%, 2% and 3% of succinic acid were added to cigarettes. According to the changing conditions of the formed volatile substances, the influence mechanism of succinic acid on the suppressing flavor of cigarettes was deduced.

Publication Date


First Page


Last Page





[1] Carrol G Tompson. Chemical modification of burley tobacco. (1999—01—07)[2014—12—18]. http://tobaccodocuments.org/rjr/511241875-1905.html.
[2] Jerry W Lawson, Bruce R Bullings, Thomas A Perfetti, et al. Cigarettes: US, 4836324[P].1989—06—06.
[3] 罗昌荣,谢焰,印黔黔. 葡萄糖、果糖和蔗糖/脯氨酸的共裂解行为研究[J].烟草科技,2014(2):61~69.
[4] Richard R Baker, Louise J Bishop. The pyrolysis of tobacco ingredients[J]. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 2004, 71(1):223~311.
[5] 罗昌荣,谢焰,印黔黔. 木糖/脯氨酸共裂解过程挥发性化合物形成规律[J].食品与机械,2013,29(2):1~7.
[6] Epa. A genotoxic assessment of environmental tobacco smole using bacterial bioassays. (1990—06—19) [ 2014—12—18]. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/ekz92d00.
[7] James F Pankow, Ameer D Tavakoli, Luo Wen-tai, et al. Percent free base nicotine in the tobacco smoke particulate matter of selected commercial and reference cigarettes[J]. Chemical Research in Toxicology, 2003, 16(8):1 014~1 018.
[8] Cai Chen, James F Pankow. Gas/particle partitioning of two acid-base active compounds in mainstream tobacco smoke: nicotine and ammonia[J]. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry,2009, 57(7):2 678~2 690.
[9] Gordon H Bokelman, Sheryl D Baldwin, Susan S Tafur, et al. Wrapper for a smoking article: US, 5152304[P].1992—10—06.



To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.